It was snowy couple of days last weekend and then it got really super cold. (It pays to have a meteorologist husband ;)) Since the holiday season is in full swing.. I’m taking on a couple of holiday projects. The Sunday after Thanksgiving, I put up my Christmas tree and lights. I Don’t always do it right away.. but I had the time and who knows when I would again.
My tree, which I like to call my Charlie Brown tree, is a specialty of mine. I’m quite proud of it in fact. When I was a junior in college and living on my own for the first time.. I noticed my apartment felt empty at Christmas. I really wasn’t planning on spending a lot of time during the holidays at home (rather- I would be spending it with my family at various locations) But the apartment just felt.. empty and devoid of holiday cheer. So being to poor college student that I was.. I found myself at Walmart seeing if it was even possible to afford decorations. There, I got the cheapest pre-lit tree I could find. Cost me all of $29.99. Seeing the really pathetic display for my tree, (you could see all the way to the “trunk” except where it got thick at the top,) I bought some garland to give it some more coverage. I also had no ornaments at the time, and I bought some bulk plastic ones in 4 different colors for about $5 each (each set had maybe 20 ball ornaments?) I also bought 4 sets of smaller glass balls in different colors for about $3 each set, and a few packs of small metallic colored bows. Armed with my maybe $100 in merchandise.. I headed home, determined to make my apartment at least a little more festive.
The results were pretty good…surprisingly so.. and believe it or not I still have everything today. I’ve added some things here and there.. a big Christmas bow on top.. some gold ribbon winding around.. and my mom even gave me my old Christmas ornaments when my husband (then boyfriend) and I moved into our new house. Every year I break out my “pathetic” tree and work my magic. Every year I take those bows off the tree and think.. yeah I’m not putting these on next year, they’re done. But I can’t bring myself to get rid of them.. they seem to make my tree what it is.
After I did the tree.. I put up the lights. I found some Velcro hooks that are used to fasten the lights to the house without nails or staples. While nails or staples don’t bother me so much.. our house is brick front, and there’s no where to put a nail or staple around our window. I thought maybe lights just around the door was too sparse, so I wanted to do the lower window too. (The second floor windows are way too high to hang lights.. least for me.) So I bought these hooks.. hoping they would stay attached. The front of our house gets a lot of sunlight (southern exposure) and it can get quite cold this time of year (going to be a high of 25 degrees tomorrow!) But, these hooks said they were rated for outdoor use.. so I’m hoping they hold for the month. So far so good.
So I got this idea to hang wreaths in the windows.. to kind- of balance out the lack of decoration on the second floor. I went to the store, but all the pretty decorated ones were $25 and up.. and I wanted three! SO, once again, I turned to good old Walmart and resourcefulness and decided to make my own. I bought 3 undecorated wreaths for about $2.50 each. (I wanted the pre-lit ones.. but couldn’t figure out how I would rig power to them, so I just decided to jazz up unlit ones) I bought 2 sets of mini christmas tree ball ornaments, one red and one gold ($3.50 each), and three medium sparkly red bows ($3 each) cause who doesn’t love sparkles?
I separated out the ornaments on the floor into three groups, one for each wreath. My husband said he liked the bow at the top of the wreath, so that’s what I did. I laid the wreath flat and arranged the ornaments where I wanted them on the wreath.
Then, I figured the best way to attach the ornaments was to sew them on, so I took some thick black thread I had and looped it through the top of the ball three times. Then I attached to the place I wanted my ornament by tying three good knots in the thread, and cut off the excess.
It took me maybe 45 minuets to put this together.. but that was trying to figure out the best way to do it.. getting supplies and such. I figured my second one took about 30 mins.. and I’m sure the more you do, the faster you can get. I haven’t hung these yet.. partially because we were getting snow and I didn’t want the weather to ruin them so fast.. and partially because my husband thought I should hang them inside.. which I don’t know if I want to do either. But I’m running out of time and I better decide quick!